Saturday, February 19, 2011

Rambling thoughts on biology and being good enough


I mentioned in my last post that the beginning of February marked the eighth anniversary of the day Gregg and I found out biological kids wouldn’t be in the cards for us.  I remember being horribly depressed at the news, but that wasn’t something that lasted a long time.  Right from the start, we believed that we would meet our child through adoption.  We felt that biology might have been nice, but it certainly wasn’t necessary.  While I had always felt the desire to be a mother, I really can’t say that I had a need to be pregnant.

As it has turned out, adoption has not been an easy road for us – not in any way, shape, or form.  There has been the closure of Vietnam.  Potential independent adoptions that went up in smoke.  Losing Pooh and Tigger.  And more. So there are people who feel, when I avoid going to baby showers and other such gatherings, that I can’t tolerate being around pregnant women and hearing about babies because I can’t get pregnant.  Not really.  In reality, I have trouble with these situations because still, even almost two years into the wait, I have a deeply-rooted fear that we will be passed over and I will never have a child.  Last summer Gregg and I went to a friend’s baby-naming party with my parents, and I actually left in tears when it seemed like every couple I saw had at least one young child with them.  I felt that everyone could have a child but us.  (Not a baby.  Not a pregnancy.  A child.)

It’s not a good feeling, feeling that you’re not good enough to be a parent.  I will say with 100% certainty that being forced through this emotional wringer over the last eight years has made me much more acutely sensitive to my future child’s emotional needs.  There is pain in knowing that who I am so severely limits my possibilities for adoption.  There is pain in knowing that because of a diagnosis, we were not good enough to be Pooh and Tigger’s parents. 

There is also pain in knowing that some people outside of the adoption community judge the formation of our family as “second best.”  Before I started working from home, I managed a hair salon for almost five years.  My last year was agonizing.  Everyone who worked at the salon who was in a committed relationship became pregnant within a few months of each other.  Every. Single. Person.  Clients and staff joked that it was in the water.  They wanted to know why I wasn’t drinking the water so I could get pregnant. 

Then along came Pooh and Tigger, and the announcement that we were expecting – two.  “OH!  Twins?  How lovely!” was the common theme.  “No, not twins, a four-year-old girl and her six-year-old brother.”  I cannot begin to tell you how many people changed their tune – from total excitement at the thought that I might be pregnant to completely changing the topic, or telling me that it was bad news to be adopting “older children who surely have problems.”   Again, it would have been good enough if I was pregnant, but not good enough to be adopting.

Gregg told me not too long ago that sometimes I talk about the adoption too much.  It’s hard not to.  We are adopting a child who will be at least the age of three.  That means that our child has already been born and is somewhere – I don’t know where; being taken care of – I don’t know how and I don’t know by whom.  I think of our child every day and wonder and pray and hope we hear something soon so that I will know.  I want to tell our child that s/he is amazing and wonderful and has been waited for for eight long years.   I want to tell our child that no matter what anyone has ever said, s/he is better than good enough – s/he was created by God to be just right. 

7 comments:

  1. Jen,
    This is a beautifully, beautifully written post. I was just thinking about writing a post with the same type of theme (not feeling like you're good enough) though mine was going to be from the perspective of being a divorced adoptive parent; of going through a homestudy to try to prove you're just the perfect couple enough to adopt a child and then sixs years later having your marriage fail (my first marriage NOT this one!). So, this post really resonated with me.

    And YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I can totally relate to how you're feeling. I too have some of the same struggles. I always thought I would be a mom...and here we are after 11 years of marriage...and I'm still waiting. It usually comes in waves, and I wonder "why me" or rather "why not me". There is of course no easy answer, they say everything happens for a reason...I'd just like to know what the reason is...NOW. And when I find myself in the waves of negativity, I try to help to get myself out of it, because it is only hurting me, and those closest to me.

    I hope that you know that you too are more than good enough, and just as you would want to say that to your child, I believe that God would want to say the same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for your comments. I should probably add a note to clarify a bit (I was rambling what was coming out of my head in bits and pieces rather than outlining, like I should have.) There are two things I have always known: (1) I have wanted to be a mommy since I was four years old. (2) I am not my diagnosis, and Gregg is not his. If there had been no diagnosis for either one of us, we would have been able to adopt from any country we wanted - but because of a piece of paper, they told us we were not good enough. People who never met us TOLD US we were not good enough for Pooh and Tigger. No matter how "just right" something is, it is a knife to the heart when someone who has control over something that big tells you no - because they think you aren't good enough...when they don't even know you.

    And it took me eight years to realize that I wouldn't trade those knives to the heart for anything, because an older child comes to you with their own wounds, often feeling that THEY were not good enough. And while the two may not compare, I feel much more sensitive to his or her emotions than I would have eight years ago, and for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn,

    I decided to write my post anyway. I linked back to you. It will be up tomorrow at 8:00 am. It's along the "not good enough" line of thinking but coming from a different angle. I didn't want you to think I'd copied you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    You WILL be able to tell your child all that is in your heart and s/he will be richer for it. It's all a mystery how it comes together...our experiences, hopes, dreams and fears. They're all real and all part of us. Your fears are real...I know because I lived with them, too. I pray He grants this dream of yours soon so that you can know the healing love of a child. It's not his/her job to heal you, but they do. It's a tremendous gift and God-willing, it's coming.

    And you are GOOD ENOUGH because God made you. You are PERFECT for the role He is asking you to play in the world. "Other people" often forget that and compare to their own ideas of what's perfect. Keep your eyes on Him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen,
    You are definitely good enough! I think as mothers we all have doubts about being good enough for our children, adopted or biological. Our first child passed away the day she was born, and I have wondered why ever since that day. Why am I not enough? We have also had several failed attempts at domestic adoptions and it's heartbreaking. My husband and I started the journey to create a family 7 years ago, so it's been a long road.
    The good news is, you and I have now been APPROVED to adopt and we are on a waiting list. We WILL get the call. I don't know when, but it's coming. Hang in there and keep the faith. I'll be praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, this post brought tears to my eyes! What an honest and transparent person you are! You are most definitely good enough because you are God's creation -- just like the Little One He has chosen especially for you. Don't ever let anyone tell you adoption is second best because it is not! It's simply another way to grow a family.

    I'll leave you with a link to a song that really spoke to me the first time I heard it. He wrote it to his daughter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2o0jHNRuU (I hope it works). We're thinking of using it at our daughters' baptism. You are beautiful!

    You will get THE CALL and I'm praying it is very soon!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete