Thursday, September 12, 2013

September 12-13, 2012

The string of events that occurred one year ago seem to have occurred just yesterday.  And they seem to have occurred a lifetime ago.  One year ago, we were a childless couple waiting for our lives to change forever.  Today, we wouldn’t change a thing.  These are my memories of how it all happened.

The morning of September 12, 2012 was a crazy blur of packing last-minute items and making sure everything was ready to go before we left for our 2:55 p.m. flight out of New York.  Our pet sitter came to be with Lakota when we left so she was not panicked when we left with all the suitcases.  It was a good plan – Lakota was very relaxed when we were gone.

My parents joined us on the trip, and they met us at our house prior to leaving for the airport.  I could not believe how relaxed Gregg and I were the whole trip.  We took a direct flight with Cathay Pacific, from New York to Hong Kong, had a one hour layover, then straight to Manila.  I recommend this for anyone.  I also recommend their Economy Plus seating – it was well worth the extra money for the extra room it afforded.

Unbelievably relaxed waiting for takeoff from JFK.
Unfortunately, with a few hours left in the first leg of the trip, my mom was stung by a bee and she had an allergic reaction.  We talk about the irony of the situation to this day.  The Cathay Pacific staff was top notch, though, caring for her through the remainder of the flight, calling ahead to get her an appointment with the clinic at the Hong Kong airport, and getting her and my dad back on the flight right before takeoff.

One more very anxious hour on the plane from Hong Kong to Manila and we would land in the Philippines, the land of our son’s birth and first seven years of life.  It was the very early hours of the morning, September 14, 2012.

To be continued…
Probably the most appropriate sign in any airport ever.

1 comment:

  1. you are such a writer and we are so PROUD:)
    Keep them coming@
    Lola and Lolo