Sunday, September 12, 2010

Hitting the wall

Quite simply put, even though this week ended well, it was not a good week.

September 4 we hit our 18 month mark and all seemed right with the world. We could make it six more months with no problem. The way it turned out, I couldn’t even last one more week without an emotional breakdown.

Gregg has been carrying an increased amount of stress from his job, and I was feeling it. I was carrying an increased amount of stress from my job, and Gregg was feeling it. It was time for this referral to come. Really. I needed good news. Right now. The amount of time we have actually spent waiting for something to happen was just bowling me over and I couldn’t take it anymore. I felt that I had hit the wall.

Anger at our situation hit. The mental exhaustion. Total impatience. You name the feeling, I had it. I had more work this week than usual, and while that’s normally a good thing for me, it was making me even more miserable.

And everyone I talked to told me that things would happen “in God’s perfect timing.” My heart knows that this is true, but when you have hit the wall sometimes the reassurances you need to hear, the things that are so true, can be very painful when repeated so often. Sometimes I just want to scream “I’ve been waiting seven and a half years for it to be God’s perfect time, is He going to be ready anytime soon?”

Last night we went to church and I was praying for the patience to get through the rest of this wait. Suddenly, in my mind’s eye, I could see myself hugging a young child and feeling happy and I knew that there would be an end to this wait – eventually. Tears started welling up in my eyes.

I thought that this last six months wouldn’t be so bad to get through if I put my mind to powering though it. It appears I was wrong. If the last week is a forecast of the next six months, I’ll be holding on tight – it’s going to be a bumpy ride to the finish.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer, I found you! The worst is when people say "the call will come when you least expect it". With me, I'm expecting the call every second of every day. That is all I think about! Good luck with riding out the rest of your wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer...I found your blog from Renee's blog! I was once where both of you are. Of course the details are not the same but the agony of the wait, when you have already waited...I remember that very well. There isn't really anything that anyone can say right now to help, except that phone call telling you you've got a child.

    It's simply grinding your way through every day, finding joy where you can, and dreaming about the day you finally embrace your child. My husband and I were married 7 years before we finally embraced our little boy in the Philippines. It was 7 grueling years of loss and waiting!! We now have two little boys whom we brought home separately from the PI. Hang in there. The wait can be brutal as you know. BUT all those well-meaning things people say that are so horrible now will one day ring true for you, too. God bless you!

    PS... I keep a blog, too, but it's all my own thoughts on a variety of topics. Not very exciting...I think I'm the only reader :)! But if you'd like to be in touch with me, just feel free to comment on any of my entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you receive the call soon, i think the kids come on your home was chosen since he was born, so when he was time for her to come with you, the call come at this time...
    Mélissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    Hi there! I found your blog through Renee and Brian's blog. I am so sorry to hear about your week. And more than likely there will be more of them. I remember going through those times when you think, Is this really ever going to happen? But know, when it does, the sad and hard times of waiting will be swept away. Hang in there and try to enjoy this part of the experience as much as possible. Yeah, I know much easier said than done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *speechless* i'm sorry friend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jennifer,
    We are in the same spot, too bad the location is not the same. The net is the only place to share with others in this situation as here there are only a handful of people adopting and many are in different places.

    You write as if it was me. Some days it seems fine, that we can handle anothr 6 months. After all it's the shorter part of the story considering the process started 3 years ago, and we tried to have children since 13 years back....

    But it's amazing these last months feel like years in themselves, and basicaly all I hope for is that God gives me/us joyful moments to hold on to, till His perfect timing hits... HE HAS PATIENCE (but then again, he is in eternity) Cause right now those moments are not evident.

    Calming to my soul, is that it's not only me. That it's normal, and that it's ok.
    Thanks for being open about your struggle times, and energy hugs from Switzerland.
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete