Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lessons from an ice cream cone

It’s no secret in our family that our Husky, Lakota, is our baby.  She is so spoiled (even more by my mother than by us) and spends most of her days now curled up next to my desk watching me type.  She’s always been a picky eater, and we try not to give her treats unless she’s finished her food for the day. 
Then there was tonight.  Mind you, Lakota is almost 11 years old now.  Her hip bothers her sometimes.  But we’ve had strangers off the street ask us if she’s only three or four because she’s just so dang feisty and young-looking.  Well, tonight after I finished washing the dishes, Miss Lakota decided that even though she didn’t want to eat her food, she wanted a treat – now.  This dog stood by the closet door (where her treats are kept) and barked.  Then she ran around the dining room table three times, jumped on the couch, barked at the closet door, and jumped straight up in the air about three feet and landed on all fours.  I was hysterical.  She hasn’t done anything like that since she was two and jumped onto my parents’ dining room table from a standing position.  (No treats from grandma that day!)  Moral of this story?  Make me laugh and do something out of the ordinary and you’ll probably get that treat before you finish your food, Lakota. 
Gregg and I learned a thing or two about breaking the rules over the summer.  Normally, our conversations about dinner go something like, “What do you want me to make for dinner?”  “I don’t know, what do you want?”  Then one day, we both decided we weren’t all that hungry, but Gregg had a craving for ice cream.  Ice cream it was.  No protein, no green vegetable.  Just ice cream.  Because you know what?  Right now it’s just us – we’re not thinking of a child’s nutritional needs yet.  We’ve followed the rules, and ice cream for dinner isn’t a huge rule breaker – as long as it’s not every night :)  We actually did this a few times over the summer, and you know what?  They were probably some of my favorite nights with my husband.  Who doesn’t smile when they’re eating a crazy-good ice cream flavor? 
So ultimately, I guess what I’m saying is that I hope I’m that kind of mom when the time comes and the time that I’ve spent waiting has been for learning the extra lessons I’ll need along the way.  Rules are important and need to be followed – but hey, sometimes you just need to eat dessert first.   

5 comments:

  1. What a fun dog you have! I am so thankful we had our beagle while we waited for our son!! He made me smile, too. :) And thanks for the reminder about eating dessert first. I may have to try that soon!! Good for you for rebounding from your bad day to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just could not let this pass! If you think I spoil Lakota, wait until our grandchild comes! With every day that passes, my mind goes to the future and when this child comes, the love that will be showered will be unbelievable. Just remember as grandparents, we can spoil and return, but we won't try that for a little while. And remember, we ADAPT. We love ice cream too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rules were meant to be broken once in a while. Otherwise life would be no fun! You go eat your ice cream, and when you have that baby? Give her a taste or two or three, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our dog loves ice cream too! I totally agree that you should enjoy living life to its fullest and sometimes that means eating ice cream for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete