Sunday, May 13, 2012

For All His Mothers

I have waited many years to go to Mass on Mother’s Day and make it through the service without crying my eyes out.  What a difference one little boy makes!

There are several women, however, that are especially present in my mind today.  All of them have been Mother to Francis, and thanks to them, he has known love.

I have no adequate words to express the gratitude I feel toward Francis’ birthmother for the awesome gift we are about to receive.  I hope she knows that we will treasure this boy – love him, care for him, educate him, and raise him to be a good, strong, and loving man who will remember her.

Today I also remember Francis’ birth-grandmother, who helped care for him.  Without her love and dedication to her daughter and her grandson, I would not be becoming a mother in a few months, and my mother would not be becoming a grandmother.  To these two women, “thank you” is not enough, and it never will be.

Francis has also lived with a foster mother and in his current orphanage with the most wonderful caretakers.  These women have been Mother to him over the years.  They have hugged him, kissed his boo-boos, sang to him, tended to him when he was sick – and he knows love.  For this, I thank them.  All of them.

I am also got to mention one more mother – one Francis knows of but hasn’t met yet.  My mother.  Without her love and support, I’m pretty sure I would not have survived the wait to the referral call.  The light in her eyes when she talks about this amazing little boy is brighter than the sun.  I am an only child, so Francis will be the only grandchild she and my father have.  My parents will be coming to the Philippines with us, and they can’t wait to meet their grandson.  They already think he hangs the moon.  Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.  I love you.

Happy Mother’s Day to the Moms, Moms-to-be, and in particular, all those who are Moms in their hearts, but whose children have yet to be identified.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jen,
    Yes, thanks to all the mothers. Especially those who have been one to us, and helped us to be one too. <3

    ReplyDelete