Monday, September 17, 2012

And Then There Were Three

If there is one thing I have learned about Francis over the past three days, it is that he will try to figure out absolutely anything electronic that he can get his hands on.  We have been trying to hide the iPad until the last possible minute, hoping it would be fresh for the plane.

And so that is why I'm here now, in the dark, listening to my husband and my son both snoring softly after a long, exciting day.  Francis took the blanket I sewed for him and tucked in his stuffed Pooh Bear tight, then draped the rest of the blanket over himself. He listened to two stories, one of which, Wherever You Are, My Love Will Find You, had me teared up and crying buckets by the end of page one.

But you are here to hear how his entrustment ceremony went today, right?  

Today was the first day my parents met Francis.  The four of us and Rolly, our agency liaison, were picked up by a driver, who came with the director of the RSCC.  When we arrived at the center, Francis was outside waiting for us and would have opened the van door himself, if he could have! For the second day in a row, Daddy got ambushed with a huge hug, while Mommy had to wait for him to warm up a bit.  He recognized Lolo and Lola right away, and even they got hugs.  

The center had a beautiful entrustment ceremony, with the director, social worker, nurse, and Francis' primary caregiver each speaking for a bit.  We were then presented with Francis' lifebook, preschool diploma, photographs, and a beautiful 8x10 of his referral photo with the poem "Legacy of an Adopted Child" imprinted on it.  We were asked to read the poem aloud, which Gregg had to do, because as soon as I saw the first two lines I was a sobbing mess.  We were then asked to say a few words, and again Gregg had to start (still sobbing!). We could not thank them enough.  Finally my parents and Rolly were asked to say something, and we took some pictures.

And then we had cake!  Today was Francis' 7th birthday, and what a day to celebrate!  When we found out we would be in time for his birthday (at the time not realizing the entrustment would be ON his birthday), we asked to have a party for Francis - whatever he wanted.  He picked out his favorite foods:  Jolibees spaghetti, pancit, spicy chicken, übe ice cream, and best of all, a Spiderman cake!  The room was decorated with balloons that said "Happy 7th Birthday, Francis, September 17th, 2012" and "Love, Mommy and Daddy"

When it was time to leave, Francis was ready to go.  He was out the door before the rest of us could say goodbye and get our shoes on.  I looked outside in the rain and said "Where's Francis?!" in the van, ready to go already.  He sat quietly on the way to the hotel, first on Gregg's lap, then mine.  When we got to the hotel, he was ready to go.  We have a connecting room to my parents, so he had cartoons (the same one) on both tvs, playing with a ball, checking out the digital camera, and discovering that he LOVES to be tickled.  My son has the most contagious laugh you will ever hear, and his smile lights a room.  After a day or two of just wanting daddy, he is coming to me more and looking to sit on my lap and cuddle and be picked up.

At one point this afternoon, we went to call Rolly to discuss dinner plans but there was a problem with the phone.  Gregg was just going to go down to his room, but Francis refused to let him leave.  I tried to go instead, but the same thing happened.  In the end, all three of us had to go.

By the time dinner rolled around, Francis was practically falling asleep on the table, but he ate some spaghetti and lit up like a Christmas tree when his second birthday cake came out.  Here we are now, all cuddled up, and I'm the last one to go to bed.  I'm thinking I might want to do that now, though, because apparently he gets up at 4 am.  

I'll have pictures from today when we can get them off the camera tomorrow, but here are just a few for now.




8 comments:

  1. I have been so bad, checking out your blog for updates! Maybe it gives me a chance to re-live meeting my boys, remembering it was all new once. I also have been so eager to see a picture of Francis as my oldest is 7, too. (And has an amazing, contagious laugh, too! If only we could get them together, just once.) Anyway, thank you for sharing how your lovely story is unfolding with people like me who you've never met, but who have been touched by your story. Thanks be to God for the number THREE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was so cute.. I'm so happy for you, the road was long but so happy now! We are so excited for you!
    Mélissaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he was ready to go home (wherever you & Gregg are is officially home!!) =) You're glowing. Love it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three at last!!!! I just love the photo of Francis looking up at you and Gregg with this amazing smile on his face. He looks so happy to have found his forever family! I can't wait for more updates and more photos. They are the highlight of my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray!! What a sweet boy!! Sounds like he will adjust beautifully! You all look so relaxed and happy. I am soo very happy and excited for all of you!!

    Blessings and hugs!!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God! Jenn, you have a beautiful family momma! You already know how happy I am for you!!!!!!!! Super duper love all y'all!!!! Enjoy your little man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If ever there were a family that was meant to be together, it's you guys! So, so happy to see you as a family of three!!

    ReplyDelete