Saturday, June 4, 2011

What does 27 months sound like?


Well, if you were in our house today, 27 months sounded an awful lot like the vacuum cleaner running, the carpet shampooer cleaning, the washer running, the dryer running, feet pounding up and down the stairs in a hurry trying to get it all done in time – followed by bats cracking and six- to eight-year-old boys yelling and screaming at a baseball game.  That’s what 27 months sounded like to me, anyway.  Oh, and don’t forget the bickering.  Because I was in a VERY cranky mood today.

Gregg and I originally had our second homestudy update scheduled with the social worker for June 26.  Something – don’t ask me what it was – had me suddenly feeling all nesty and in the mood to clean the last week or two.  Maybe it was the weather.  I don’t particularly like to clean that much.  Imagine my delight in how clean my house was when we got an e-mail requesting that the home study be moved to tomorrow!  Still, we do have quite a few fur babies, and even though our social worker has told us every single time she has come to visit that she also has two large dogs and she is quite used to homes with pets, I normally prefer to go overboard with the carpet cleaner.  Just because.  By the time I was finished with the vacuuming and carpet cleaning (and laundry), I was pretty much ready for a nap but it was time for Gregg’s coach pitch game.  (Thankfully it was just one game this weekend.  The last two Saturdays were double headers!)  The boys play a six-inning game, and by the bottom of the fourth it started to rain. 

Gregg will tell you I’ve been bitchy all day.  I’ll tell you I’m tired and irritated.  And since it’s my journal, I can say that.  I’m irritated that it’s gotten to 27 months and is just going to keep going.  I’m irritated that I’ve spent the better part of a week getting ready for my third homestudy.  I’m tired trying to say “Maybe today will be the day” every single Friday so that I don’t let myself go down the path of believing that I’m going to be doing homestudies and fingerprints every year and a half for the rest of my life because this adoption will never ever happen.  (Which may be what Lakota thinks.  When we came home from church tonight, she had gotten her jaws on my copy of Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child and ripped off the front cover and shredded the first section.  So that’s what she thinks.)

So I’m tired.  And cranky.  And absolutely unapologetic about it.  But, hey – my house is clean.  And that, my friends, is what 27 months sounds like today.

6 comments:

  1. I think I can hear you all the way from 3 states away. I actually thought this post was just going to say, "AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH."

    I think about you all the time, Jen, and how difficult this wait is. Having never had to wait longer than 18 months, I'm at a loss as to how to even imagine how badly 27 months sucks.

    Hang in there, sweetie, and know that you always have an ear if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. It totally sucks and you have every right to be 'tired and irritated' (; The whole adoption process is ridiculous. And as Wendy said I can't imagine waiting 27 months so I am not going to pretend to totally understand. I just know the process and the long waits are getting to be total crap. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking about you....Not much to say other than that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting for 28 months today for a little one from the Philippines...I hear you! I too tell myself every friday that this is the day...and you know what, one day it will be true!! So hang in there...I know it seems like an endless wait, but our turn will come!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking about you today. It is Friday! I have only had my paperwork in China for a few weeks now. Yet waiting for my phone to ring has been agonizing at times. I can't imagine how you feel today. Last night I was saying the words of the Psalmist, "How long O Lord?!" Will it be today? If feels like if I just knew the day I would be ok, but maybe not. Here are two verses I try to remember. Habakkuk 2:3"But these things I plan wont happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, by patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Exodus 12:41 "At the end of the 430 years, to the very day, all the Lord's divisions left Egypt." May 21, 2010, I wrote in my bible next to this verse, "The end of my wait is already decided. It will not go one day past this determined date!" Can't get to post so I will have to do it under "anonymous"

    Lisa Welling "mama of 4 boys"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs from over the ocean. Vee

    ReplyDelete