Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hope

Hope 
By Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

The most commonly read post on this blog is this one.  I will specifically quote one paragraph from that entry that was particularly painful to write.

It’s not a good feeling, feeling that you’re not good enough to be a parent.  I will say with 100% certainty that being forced through this emotional wringer over the last eight years has made me much more acutely sensitive to my future child’s emotional needs.  There is pain in knowing that who I am so severely limits my possibilities for adoption.  There is pain in knowing that because of a diagnosis, we were not good enough to be Pooh and Tigger’s parents.   

Despite what people have said to the contrary, my all-time biggest fear was that we would not be looked at as good enough for a child’s social worker or for ICAB to sign off on a referral for us.  That they would say out of five potential families, we would consistently rank as the #5 – until forever, really.  You can say it’s silly.  You can tell me I’m nuts.  You can tell me that would never happen.  But that was my biggest fear.

We’re still waiting for a referral.  There is not a referral on the horizon just yet – we still have to wait our turn.  

But finally, finally – someone we can trust told us in the most concrete way imaginable that we were Good Enough.  And that is something that gives me an indescribable amount of hope.  Hope that there will be a child, and that someone out there knows I will be a good mommy one day.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer...truly, I can feel your pain as you have written, but I can also feel your hope. Truly, hope is an awesome, awesome thing. Emily Dickinson (one of my favorite poets, by the way) says it so well. There is something truly unjust in having another human being tell you you're not good enough. I am happy to know that you have found the affirmation from someone else to help build up your hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Dear Girl! It will come! Unfortunately, it's not on our time, but God's time and His timing is perfect. We can attest to that one! Even though I really only know you through cyber space, I believe you will be a great mom one day! You have a kind and gentle heart. Sending love and prayers your way!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, reading your post has made me realise something that perhaps I've been afraid to admit even to myself...but I absolutely fear not being good enough to be a parent!! This gnawing feeling eats away at me. I know almost all new parents feel this way, everyone worries to a certain degree about being a good parent...but maybe it's even more intense for adoptive parents. I cannot fathom the pain of losing Pooh and Tigger, whom you carried in you hearts for six months!!
    You are spot on with your comments...and Emily Dickinson's poem is just beautiful! It really expresses the feeling of hope...love it. I will carry this poem in my heart for the rest of the wait.
    I know you're tired of hearing this, but...all in good time!!!! You have no control over this, it's out of your hands...so what good does it do to stress over this? Just don't give up hope...
    You already received ICAB approval, which means they DO see you guys as suitable parents and they approved you and Gregg for adoption...and that means that you will one one day get the call and travel to the Philippines to bring home your child. It's not a question of if, but when...

    Amber (waiting almost 29 months...)

    ReplyDelete