Thursday, August 4, 2011

29 months - plan the vacation


Moving on, we hit 29 months today.  (After a while, keeping track of the months is a bit like singing “99 bottles of beer on the wall.”  You know the song is going to end eventually, but it just…keeps…going…) 

The last family from our agency to receive a referral from the Philippines was matched with a 4 year old at exactly 29 months.  I believe this was the longest wait so far.  I don’t have very high expectations that this will happen for us.

The new rumor circulating now is that there are not so many children in the 3+ age range available for adoption, so couples requesting children 3+ are actually being offered referrals for younger children.  I’m not sure what I think of this.  Something seems wrong with this train of thought.  I would have figured it would have been the exact opposite.  At this point, I’ve pretty much given up trying to understand anything.  I’m just waiting and hoping…waiting and hoping.

Completely independent of the adoption, July was a stressful month for us.  Adding the stress of the wait to it, we weren’t a very happy household over the past month.  With some tears, I finally realized that our child won’t be coming home this year, and we should just take advantage of Gregg’s PTO before he becomes overly stressed out at work. I did some research, found some great deals, and paid the travel agent a visit, and the final result is that we’ll be going on a seven-night cruise to New England and Canada in October.  Um, is it October yet?

Here’s hoping August will be a better month than July.  August is normally a busy and pleasant month for us.  Tomorrow Gregg and I will mark 11 years since the day we first met.  Nothing’s turned out the way we planned it and life’s been crazy, but I couldn’t love him more.  Five days after that is my birthday, and I’m so thankful to my mom for planning a lovely day out for me to keep my mind off a phone that won’t ring.  I am amazingly lucky to have a fantastic support system, including all my wonderful bloggy buddies!

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there mate. i could offer you all sorts of joyful "wisdom" but quite frankly .... if you were across the coffee table from me i would reckon you'd want to slap me. (i know i would) i can't imagine the agony of the wait you guys are experiencing .... so many of our friends wanted to give up when they got to the two year mark. go through the motions. enjoy what you guys have now ... wake up, go to sleep and start another day ... it is scary how it can obsess your brain. just hang in their .... cry on the shoulder of friends who love you and accept you. and remember this one thing .... once you have your child in your arms all the agony of the wait does go away. i know you can't even comprehend that at this point .... but it does. everyone i have talked to has said so .... and it did for us too. i'll ask you that question once you are home with your munchkin ... i am sure you'll agree. survive. hang on ... and try and laugh a bit today. ok? xoxox maggs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to come to grips with the fact that we will not travel this year either! I had a mini panic attack, but thankfully a friend (neighbor) was home and helped me through it. On Aug. 6th it will be one year since we got the call that our government shut Nepal adoption. I am not doing very well today and I think it is going to be a tough weekend. I have been having peace with the waiting, but I look at the calendar and just the shock that it is Aug. is enough to send me through the roof. I feel like the boy who cries woof. Seriously! How many years will I say, "we will hopefully travel by the end of the year." We can't even get matched let alone get travel approval.
    Enjoy your trip. You are in my prayers!
    Lisa Welling(I can't post a comment using my Google Account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how about those Steelers? Will they be meeting the Packers again in the Super Bowl? :)

    So excited about your vacation. What a gift to have something else so wonderful to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete