Thursday, August 25, 2011

Making light of a stressful situation


I’m finding some stress in our wait again the past few days.  It could be the fact that we’re on the border of the two-and-a-half-year mark.  (I’m actually pretty sure that’s what it is.)  I’m restless.  I’m having a hard time focusing on my work.  I’m finding the need to accomplish something else in addition to my work (I’m not sure what that is), and yet I find myself looking from my work to my phone to my e-mail and back again.  It’s a vicious cycle.  I actually think Lakota’s had enough of it – she keeps giving me very pitiful looks from the couch. 

I’m still hearing that irritating, over-used phrase, “You’ll get the call when you least expect it” a whole lot.  August has been a bit of a bust, but there are some interesting things going on in September and October, so I decided to have some fun with this saying.  The plain and simple fact is (and yes, I know I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again), at this stage of the waiting game, you expect it at every moment of every day.  I would probably only be surprised if the call came at 2 a.m.  (So if my social worker is reading this and wants to really surprise me – there’s your cue.) 

So here is my list of the top places that could make the best story for getting a referral in the upcoming months:

3.  Sweating at the vet’s office with a big dog who hates going there
2.  Waiting to be called for jury duty
1.  The middle of the Atlantic Ocean.  We know that this is a possibility, right, Renee?  I can guarantee you if the call has not come at this time we will be checking messages every time the ship comes into port!  (And we are always the type to lose the phones on vacation, too…I think I’ve lost it!)

Anyone else have any good places to add to the list?

8 comments:

  1. yes, sitting in the chair at the hair dresser with a wet head and half of a cut going on:)Karen would give you a new cut QUICKLY!!
    You can tell Renee to call me and I'll GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU ON THE CRUISE!!!! She doesn't even have to say anything but "Have Jen and Gregg call me!" SHIP TO SHORE ANYONE!!!
    impatiently waiting grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I can come up with some more just to keep things light. You know I'm good like that.

    Wendy's Top 10 Most Awkward Places to Get Your Referral Call...

    1. With your legs in stirrups at the gynecologist.

    2. In the middle of a very solemn church service.

    3. At a funeral.

    4. During a colonoscopy.

    5. During tooth extraction while under the influence of laughing gas.

    6. During this freaking hurricane we're supposed to get.

    7. In the middle of zumba class.

    8. After having had a few too many of those calamansi margaritas of yours.

    9. At a bachelorette party with a dwarf midget performing a lap dance on you.

    10. On a tour of the White House.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WENDY!! Now I've got the giggles & it's all your fault =) I can only think of one thing to add to the most awkward list......but it's not appropriate ;=)
    We need to have a catch up chat very soon Jen!
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mamaluv5....oh, go ahead and say it. I was going to.

    In the middle of SEX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just occurred to me that dwarf midget might be a bit redundant. I meant to say dwarf male stripper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are all trying to get me in trouble with "the powers that be" ;) But I love you all and you made me laugh - just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "list" Wendy gave you.
    I am so impatient that I got the social workers name wrong! Tessa can call me and I'll be sure to contact you in the middle of the ocean!@

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I AM LAUGHING OUT LOUD!!! You were right. I am not so great at coming up with anythingb etter than Wendy's top 10, so I will pass.

    But as I am in a situation where I am getting some small unofficial bits and pieces of news, I know the call is coming soon (anything within1 year if now soon after 32 months of waiting...)and will NOT be surprised.

    P.s. Start booking all those appointments now, so that you WILL get a surprise moment!

    Maybe the only surprise moment left is like when the baby is born and asking; 'what is it?' And then the additional question; 'what is her/his name?'. Oh, one more question; 'how old is my child?!?'!!!!

    ReplyDelete